Bad breath, which is also called halitosis, is often caused by a decrease in saliva. The saliva helps clean your mouth, which reduces or eliminates bad breath. Bad breath can usually be eliminated by brushing your teeth and tongue twice a day and by flossing once a day. Persistent bad breath may indicate a more serious problem. Bad breath can be caused by:
- Poor oral hygiene
- Infections in the mouth, like gingivitis
- Smelly foods like garlic and onions
- Smoking or chewing tobacco
- Dry mouth caused by problems with the salivary gland or by breathing through your mouth
- Respiratory tract infections
- Systemic illnesses like diabetes, acid-reflux, liver disease, etc.
When necessary, Dr. Laney Schuman will treat bad breath in Granite City, Illinois. Our dentist will examine your mouth to determine the cause. Our dentist will then treat the cause of the problem if it is related to your oral health. Otherwise, you may be referred to your physician. Visiting our dentist for regular teeth cleaning appointments will also help reduce or eliminate bad breath.
We welcome you to contact Midwest Family Dentistry PC today to learn more about bad breath treatment and to schedule your next appointment with our dentist.