Veneers are thin, shell-like prostheses made of either porcelain and composite materials that are known to resemble the appearance of natural teeth closely. The dental treatment aims to correct the look of the teeth that are naturally misshapen, discolored, or damaged (injury/decay). While most people may think that veneers are only focused on making the teeth beautiful, it actually also offers improved health and function.
Before providing the patient with dental veneers, the dentist would first need to determine the best material to use for a patient. Composite veneers can be applied in a single sitting while porcelain veneers require at least two visits.
How are Veneers placed?
Both materials are applied to the teeth differently.
- It is necessary for the dentist to shave off some of the enamel to make way for the placement of the prosthesis and to make it look as natural as possible.
- The dentist would then take impressions to make sure that the veneer would perfectly fit on the tooth. The shade of the teeth will also be determined to create a prosthesis that resembles not only the form but color as well.
- Records taken will then be sent to an off-site laboratory for the custom-creation of the veneer.
- For the meantime, a temporary veneer will be placed on the tooth to protect its exposed enamel.
- Once the custom-made prosthesis is ready, it will be fitted first to check if there are any necessary adjustments. Afterward, the tooth will be cleaned, and the veneer will be bonded.
- There are cases where additional appointments may be required to make sure that the oral appliance sits perfectly on the tooth.
- Unlike with porcelain, there is not much need for teeth preparation as well as impression taking with composite.
- The dentist would use a composite material that resembles the color of the natural teeth to provide better aesthetics.
- The resin material will be applied on the teeth carefully, and the dental professional will make sure to sculpt it to resemble the adjacent structures.
- Once the ideal look of the tooth is achieved, a special curing light will be used to accelerate the hardening process of the material.
- The composite veneer would then be polished to give off the same look like natural teeth.
For the patient to check if their teeth condition is a good candidate for veneers, it is best to book an initial consultation with us at Midwest Family Dentistry. Our dental professional is sure to provide a natural looking prosthesis to enhance one’s confidence and overall oral wellness.
Give your smile a boost! Book an appointment with Midwest Family Dentistry to avail of Dental Veneers in Granite City, IL or check out our services under cosmetic dentistry. We are located at 3120 Maryville Road, Granite City, IL 62040.